Housing Association or Co-operative Housing

Housing associations are not-for profit organisations that rent houses and flats across Scotland.

They provide good, low cost accommodation for people who really need it. Housing associations are run by committees of volunteers elected by tenants.

What kind of rent will I pay?

Housing association rents are generally cheaper than rents with a private landlord.

What kind of housing is offered?

Housing association or co-operative housing may be:

  • A house or flat
  • Supported accommodation
  • Sheltered accommodation

Can I apply for housing association or Co-operative Housing?

Anyone over 16 can apply for a home through a housing association. Some housing associations specialise in accommodation for particular groups of people such as:

  • Young people
  • Elderly people
  • Disabled people
  • Single people

How can I apply for housing association housing

You will need to fill in an application form, which you can get either through your local council or directly from the housing association.

In some areas there is a Common Housing Register, which means you can apply to more than one housing association at the same time. You should be able to get an application form from any of the local housing associations or the local council, and you may be able to make an online application if you want to.


What kind of tenancy agreement will I get?

If you rent from a housing association or co-operative, you will get a Scottish Secure Tenancy or a Short Scottish Secure tenancy, which offers you certain rights.

Housing association or co-operative houses are let – or allocated – based on rules that are agreed by the association. Some rules are based on the law, and others are up to the individual association. The housing association, co-operative or local council can provide you with details about how the homes are let.

Will I need to pay a deposit?

Housing associations and co-operatives don’t usually ask for a deposit, but will often ask for a rent payment in advance.

For more help and information, you should contact your local council or visit the Shelter Scotland website page on housing associations and co-operatives