Mid-Market Rent

Some housing associations and councils now offer mid-market rent properties.

Mid-market rent aims to help people who are working, but may not be a priority for council or housing association housing and who would otherwise be unable to purchase a property in the current market and find full market rent too expensive. It’s supported by the Scottish Government.

What kind of rent will I pay?

Rent for mid-market rent homes is usually in line with or below the Local Housing Allowance rates for particular areas, so mid-market rent is usually cheaper than the average private rents in an area (though higher than council or housing association rent).

What kind of housing is offered?

Mid-market rent homes could be provided by a council, housing association or co-operative and may be a house or flat.

Can I apply for mid-market rent housing?

Anyone can apply for mid-market rent homes, but they are let – or allocated – using ‘prioritisation models’ developed by each organisation. These models may include conditions such as being in work or restrictions on how much you earn.

How can I apply?

You will need to fill in an application form, which you can get directly from your local council, the housing association. There are other choices too: Local Affordable Rented Housing Trust (LAR) is one of the Scottish Government’s delivery partners, providing mid-market rent homes across Scotland.

What kind of tenancy agreement will I get?

If you rent a mid-market rent home, you will get a Short Assured Tenancy. This is the same type of tenancy you would get in the private rented sector.

Will I need to pay a deposit?

Mid-market rent providers often ask for a deposit – often one month’s rent in advance. If a deposit is taken, it MUST be paid into a Rent Deposit Guarantee scheme within 30 working days of starting the tenancy and they must inform you that they have done so. If the landlord does not handle your money correctly, you may be entitled to compensation.

For more help and information, you should contact your local council.